38th Asian and Pacific Conference of Correctional Administrators (APCCA-2018) was held in Malaysia from 2nd to 7th, September 2018. Conference holds each year and Sri Lanka also gets a chance to participate to the conference. The Commissioner General of Prisons, Mr,Nishan Dhanasinghe, Commissioners of Prisons, Mr.Thusara Upuldeniya, Assistant Superintendent of Welikada Prison, Mr.S.K.Pallethenna and the Assistant Superintendent of Bossa Prison, Mr.L.M.P.Karunarathna represented Sri Lanka.
Five main areas relating to prison reforms have been discussed during the conference. These areas are
1. Challenges and Initiatives in Corrections
2. Best practices in the management, rehabilitation and reintegration of offenders who have links to extremism, terrorism, organized crime, and gangs
3. Preventing, detecting an treating drug and alcohol abuse by offenders
4. Training, developing and motivating correctional staff
5. Developing risk and needs assessment tools to improve the classification, management and rehabilitation of offenders
Sri Lankan delegation delivered their presentation an agenda item 1,3,and 4 by respectively Mr. Nishan Dhanasinghe ,the Commissioner General of Prisons, Mr. Thusara Upuldeniya , the Commissioner of Prisons, Mr.Senaka Pallethanna, Assistant Superintendent of Prisons. Most of the audiences have appreciated Sri Lankan Prison System and Prison Reform process under the Ministry of Justice and Prison Reforms. The next conference is going to be held in Mongolia in 2019.